Simple Opportunities for Service (SOS) are opportunities for members of the Junior League of Huntsville to volunteer in the Huntsville/Madison County community in an area outside of their JLH committee placement. Most SOS projects are not part of an official JLH community project, but align with the JLH mission.
Mission: The Junior League of Huntsville is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Our purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
The JLH Management Team reviews short term projects submitted by nonprofit organizations in the Huntsville/Madison County area. Helping with these projects is part of the JLH’s ongoing commitment to improving and making a difference in our community through the effective action of our trained volunteer members.
If your nonprofit organization has a service project for which you would like to request JLH volunteers, please consider the following guidelines and submit your request via the SOS Volunteer Request Form:
- Projects should align with the JLH focus on improving our community. JLH’s current community impact focus area is family literacy and working to achieve comprehensive literacy competency for all Huntsville/Madison County residents. However, all requests for service projects will be reviewed and considered.
- Projects cannot involve any type of transportation of others or fundraising (e.g., selling tickets, obtaining silent auction items, etc.)
- Projects can, however, include activities related to a special event (e.g., registration, set up, coat check, floater, etc.)
JLH has provided volunteers for the following SOS projects:
- Causeway Huntsville’s “One Table” Thanksgiving Meal
- “Once Upon A Winter’s Night” Literacy Evening at the Madison Public Library
- United Cerebral Palsy’s “An Irish Evening”
- Semper Fi Community Task Force’s Wounded Warrior’s Dress Boutique
- Autism Society for Alabama’s Walk 4 Autism
- The Madison Street Festival Children’s Craft Area
- United Way of Madison County’s Jumpstart Read for the Record
To submit a request for JLH volunteers in conjunction with our Simple Opportunities for Service program, please complete the SOS Volunteer Request Form no later than three weeks prior to the project date.
Decisions to support SOS requests are made on a rolling basis by the Management Team. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in JLH volunteers.