All prospective members of the Junior League will be invited to an Orientation in the Spring, with each provisional member completing a personal interest survey. These are used to subdivide the class into small groups of 6-8, each with their own Advisor. Provisional Advisors act as a mentor and guide, meeting with their small group once a month in a personal, more intimate setting to assist in getting to know one another.
The Junior League Provisional Training Course begins in late summer, usually August, with an Orientation Retreat. This is a 4-6 hour retreat designed to introduce each provisional member to key aspects of the Junior League - our core mission and values - with an overview of how we work together to achieve a common goal both inside the organization as well as within our community. It is at the Orientation Retreat that each provisional member will meet their advisor and be introduced to their small group members.
The entire provisional class meets at least once a month (August - May) in a large group setting for a mission-focused training course.
Provisionals will learn about the mission of the Junior League of Huntsville (JLH), how JLH is organized and operates, its parent organization - AJLI (The Association of Junior Leagues International) and how to get the most out of their membership. Hands on training is offered through "Community Tours" where provisionals work side by side with current league members in the community on ongoing JLH projects. Finally, fun activities are often planned, as well as attendance at the December Holiday Sherry and May Annual Dinner, where provisionals who have completed their course are welcomed as First Year Actives to the League.
The League Year runs from August to May. All of the obligations listed below should be completed within that time.
A $50 Non-refundable Provisional Course Fee is due at time of application submission. Yearly Dues of $175.00 will be collected at the Spring Orientation.
Policy Regarding Missed Provisional Meetings and General Meetings
- Only 1 missed provisional meeting is allowed; all others must be made up.
- No more than 2 provisional meetings may be made up. Special consideration may be given by the membership council.
- You are required to attend an approved make-up by December. Contact the Chair for a list of approved make-up meetings or addition shifts/work.
- Attendance is required at the Apple Annie Basket Party.
- Every provisional is required to work an Apple Annie Shift.
- Every provisional is required to wear their JLH shirt and Apple Annie attire.
- Every provisional is required to purchase at least $65 dollars (excluding tax) in JL cookbooks. This can be JLH cookbooks or JL cookbooks sold by the cookbook committee.
- Set up a NEW wholesale account.
- Every provisional is required to purchase or sell $100 worth of Spring Fundraiser event or admission tickets.
- Every provisional is required to work one Spring Fundraiser shift.
Every provisional is required to complete one 3 hour Community Service Opportunity. Provisionals are not limited to one tour, but can choose to participate in more than one tour.
You need 5 Membership Points (attendance/participation) to remain in good standing. These requirements are in addition to your Provisional requirements.
How do you obtain points?